Jose Baez – 1978 Topps
January 13, 2011
Forget Jose, The Mountain’s The Star
Nominally, this would be about Jose Baez. What I know about him is this:
1. That’s airbrushed even though he spent all of 1977 in the big leagues with Seattle.
2. He was a Dodger farmhand, but there was no way he’d ever supplant Davey Lopes.
3. He’s a cousin of the Mota family.
4. He’s gone into coaching and managing.
5. He was traded in mid-1978 to the Cards, sent down, and that was the last he played in the majors or minors.
6. Defensive metrics show he was an excellent 2B.
Well, OK. But you’ve seen that mountain before. Right?
It’s very prominent in many Arizona spring training shots. It’s near Camelback Mountain and the spring training complexes around there in Phoenix.
And I think its name is Billy.